Here’s how some of your favorites felt about ’06, from their favorite albums to their favorite moments. Happy Holidays from all of us at Plug Research and thanks for listening!
10. Hit + Run
8. XBOX 360
6. Bachelor parties
5. Spicy noodles
4. J Dilla- Donuts
Carlos Nino (The Life Force Trio, Build an Ark, Ammoncontact)
1. September 23, 2006, Dublab.com 7 Year Anniversary and John Coltrane Tribute Concert, Los Angeles, California.
2. Taking my Beatles-loving son to see the very insightful and inspiring documentary The U.S. Vs. John Lennon.
3. Jet Li’s Fearless at the Cineramadome was amazing.
4. The Science of Sleep – I loved the movie, but even more, I loved the movie’s theme song Coutances by Dick Annegarn.
5. Never thought I’d want anything to do with school until I was guest lecturer for Guillermo E. Brown’s NYU music seminar.
6. Bilal at the Temple Bar blew my mind!
7. Seeing Keith Tamashiro at Brian’s barbeque celebration a few weeks back was a great blessing.
8. T.V. On The Radio’s latest Return To Cookie Mountain and Broadcast’s collection The Future Crayon were standouts.
9. Lloyd Miller – Gol-E Gandom – Oriental Jazz – find it!
10. Aquarian, James “Jay Dee, J Dilla, Dilla Dawg” Yancey the greatest Hip-Hop producer of all time!
1. Midlake – Trials of Van Occupanther
2. El Perro Del Mar – El Perro Del Mar
3. Sunset Rubdown – Sunset Rubdown EP
4. Band of Horses – Funeral
5. M. Ward – Post-War
6. Joanna Newsom – Ys
7. Richard Swift – Dressed Up for the Letdown
8. Grizzly Bear – Yellow House
9. Tacks the Boy Disaster – Oh, Beatrice EP
10. Sparrow House – Falls EP
Califone – Roots & Crowns (Thrill Jockey)
Joanna Newsom – Ys (Drag City)
J Dilla – Donuts (Stones Throw)
The Knife – Silent Shout (Mute)
Subtle – for hero: for fool (Astralwerks)
Howe Gelb – ‘Sno Angel Like You (Thrill Jockey)
Acid Casuals – Omni (Placid Casual)
El Perro Del Mar – S/T (Control Group)
Milosh – Meme (Plug Research)
The Rhombus – Margins (self-released)
TOP TEN SCENES FROM THE CONFORMIST, AND TRANSPORTER 2
by Thomas and Sam from Samamidon
1. The dance scene in the ballroom with all the blue windows.
2. The scene where he has to get the bomb off the car, so he drives it off a ramp into the air, flips it upside down, and it zooms under a hook, which catches the bomb, and blows up, and then the car lands on the right side up on the ground, unscratched.
3. The scene where he drives the car off the side of one garage, many floors up, and flies above the street, from one building to another, landing in another garage a few floors down from there.
4. The party with the blind people.
5. Leaves blowing over the car.
6. The scene where he drives the speedboat out of the water on a ramp, so that it goes onto the highway and skids along at the pace of a bus, and then he jumps on the bus, and catches the bad guy.
7. The scene where he walks down the street while trying to hide from a pursuing vehicle; every shot at a diagonal angle.
8. Violets? Violets Monsieur?
9. Every scene involving Dominique Sanda.
10. Every shot of the Audi logo.